Amazon Ad

Sunday, September 23, 2012

Review: WordStone


WordStone is a game of swapping. Swapping stones to make words. Hence the name: WordSwap... wait, that's not right.

Graphics:
They've gone for a kind of ancient civilization motif, which I like, although it doesn't lend itself to a lot of colour in this case. In general, the graphics aren't terribly impressive, but that's not really necessary for a game of this type.

Sound:
One looping music track and a few effects. Everything seems to fit within the ancient civilization theme, and while they're limited, the effects work relatively well. The music and effects have independent volume controls, which I always appreciate.

Gameplay:
Swap letters around to form words and remove tiles while the board slowly builds, line-by-line towards the bottom. There are a few random tiles like bombs and immovable letters that mix things up a bit, but overall the gameplay's pretty simple. As you proceed, things speed up, and it takes more words to clear the board. Pretty standard.

What I liked:
-The dictionary appears to be reasonably comprehensive.
-The game design has a theme. It's a bit cliche and overused, but a theme is a theme.
-Multiple ways to swap letters.
-Comprehensive instructions. Never underestimate the importance of instructions.

What I hated:
-Instructions contain rules for the PC version as well. Would it have been so tough to make two builds
-No unlimited mode. I could be using those precious seconds that it takes me to start a new round to play!
-Sometimes it's just impossible to make a word. I had a situation where there was nothing I could do but quit or wait for the level to end. That's always a bummer.
-I think I found a few bugs.

Final Verdict:
A few refinements, and this would be an excellent way to pass the time.


WordStone is available for free from Ocean Breeze Games Inc. on BlackBerry App World
Reviewed version 1.0


No comments:

Post a Comment